Monday, June 3, 2013

Mac and Cheese all Gussied Up

The Bear and The Bird chowing down on their Mac and Cheese and some watermelon

So let's be real.  Boxed Mac and Cheese is not pretty.  It is easy and it doesn't have to be as creepy as the fluorescent orange stuff.  There are a few gluten free brands these days found at Target, most grocery stores with a health food section, and Trader Joe's.  They taste decent and get the dinner "job" done.

I like to have fruits and/or veggies with every meal whenever I can.  Aside from the food pyramid and eating a "balanced diet," I love fruits and vegetables and want to expose my kids to as many as possible.  Organic is ideal when we can!  I also add a lil something to make it creamier.  Watery mac makes me sad!

So, here it is... my fancy-shmancy boxed Mac and Cheese additions.  Give it a whirl and let me know what you think or what you change to kick it up a notch.

  • When you throw your macaroni into the boiling water, add an entire bag of frozen veggies.  A bag of mixed peas, carrots and corn does the trick.  (I have used stir fry veggies in a pinch and, honestly, all smothered in cheese, it doesn't really matter!  Let pasta and veggies boil a minute or so longer than box says to for just the pasta.  Drain water from past and veggies.
  • Use a tad less milk and replace that with about a tablespoon of butter.
  • Add 4 tablespoons of cream cheese to the warm milk and melted butter and let all of those ingredients mix together. Cream cheese will melt when you add warm pasta and veggies to it.
  • Optional: a few shakes of garlic powder.
 When all of those easy ingredients come together and slightly cool you are left with an extremely tasty twist on your regular boxed mac and cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment